In this episode of the Consumer Connections Podcast, Dina Al Sabbagh, the Marketing Insights Lead at Snapchat, shared her perspective on how Snapchat has become the digital “majlis” of the GCC, the growing consumer fluency with Augmented Reality, the innovative ways in which brand effectively use Snapchat to connect with consumers and the role of data in all this.
Here are some key takeaways:
- Snapchat is loved in the GCC and this love can be attributed to its ability to tap into human truth and consumer needs, particularly in the Arab world where connections and community are highly valued. Snapchat has become a digital version of “majlis,” a gathering space in the GCC region, by providing a platform for people to connect, share stories, and engage with each other.
- Augmented reality (AR) is a key focus for Snapchat, and it is defined as digital computing overlaid on the real world. AR enhances the real world experience rather than providing an escape from it. Consumers are increasingly engaging with AR, as seen by the billions of AR lens plays on Snapchat daily.
- AR started with playful features like filters but has evolved into more sophisticated applications, thanks to consumer adoption and fluency with the technology. Snapchat continues to explore the possibilities of augmented reality and its potential for enhancing user experiences.
- Snapchat offers a range of creative advertising opportunities that brands have been taking advantage of. One example is Snapchat’s augmented reality (AR) lenses, which allow brands to create interactive and immersive experiences, for example, by enabling users to see how clothes (or for that matter make up or eyewear) look on them, brands can reduce the number of returns, ultimately saving money on return deliveries.
- Brands are drawn to Snapchat because it provides a unique opportunity to engage with consumers in the Arab region. Despite its popularity, Snapchat is still relatively untapped by many brands, presenting a significant growth opportunity.
- To ensure the best user experiences and brand opportunities, data plays a crucial role from various sources as clues or puzzle pieces that contribute to a larger story. These sources include traditional data collection methods, real-time behaviour tracking and back-end usage data,
- Dealing with the quantum of data and multiple sources can be overwhelming, but AI and technology helps streamline the process by identifying relevant trends and insights.
- Snapchat’s commitment to user privacy and data security is paramount. This focus on privacy has contributed to its popularity among users who value their personal data.
- The fast pace of change in the industry presents both opportunities and challenges. Dina emphasises the importance of maintaining a flexible mindset and adapting to new technologies and business dynamics.
Snapchat’s success in the GCC region can be attributed to its ability to tap into the region’s cultural values and provide a digital space for connection and community. With a strong emphasis on augmented reality and creative advertising opportunities, it has become a playground for brands to showcase their products while empowering consumers to make informed choices. By continuing to explore and leverage Snapchat’s untapped potential, brands can establish stronger connections with their audience and stay at the forefront of digital marketing trends.
Grab your headphones and tune in to our episode on your favorite podcast platform.
You can also watch the full recording on our Youtube account below.